|D.o.B.||15 November 1999|
|Début||2017 Yas Marina Feature Race|
|Formula Two Career|
|Entries||26 (26 Starts)|
|First Win||2018 Bahrain Feature Race|
Lando Norris, born 13 November 1999, is a British racing driver who competes for Carlin in the 2018 FIA Formula Two Championship. Norris is one of the most highly rated young drivers in the F2 field, having won various junior and National Championships, while also gaining a seat in the McLaren Young Driver Programme.
Norris, son of a wealthy businessman, began his racing career in karting at the age of seven, and quickly rose through the ranks to become World Karting Champion in 2013, aged 14. A year later the Brit became the youngest ever CIK-FIA KF World Karting Champion, having moved into the Ginetta Junior Championship in his native Britain. A successful debut year in car racing saw the youngster gain a seat in the MSA Formula Championship with Carlin Motorsport.
Norris would claim the title in the inaugural MSA Formula season, which also earned him a handful of appearances in continental Formula 4 series. For 2016 Norris made the move to the Toyota Racing Series in New Zealand, as well as taking up seats in two Formula Renault Championships in Europe. A stunning season saw Norris claim all three Championships, which earned him a few drivers in several Formula Three events, including the Macau Grand Prix.
For 2017 Norris would be signed, with Carlin, to the FIA European Formula 3 Championship, one of the most high-profile junior series. His move also included a role in the McLaren Young Driver Programme, with Norris making his test debut in a Formula One car at the 2017 in-season test at the Hungaroring. Yet, that would not prove to be a distraction to the Bristol born racer, for Norris claimed the F3 Europe title with two races to spare.
Formula Two History
Having won the highest profile F3 Championship, as well as earning his testing role with McLaren, Norris was set to join the FIA Formula Two Championship sooner rather than later. Ultimately, Norris' maiden F2 race would come at the end of the 2017 campaign, with Campos Racing employing the youngster at the season ending Yas Marina double header. As semi-successful debut saw Norris finish in the Sprint Race, having been the victim of a mechanical issue in the Feature Race.
Ahead of the 2018 edition of Formula Two Norris' old employers Carlin Motorsport announced their intention to join the Championship. As such, there was little surprise when the F2 rookies signed their "old" driver Norris up for their debut season, partnering him with Sérgio Sette Câmara for the full campaign. After a successful test Norris would take victory at the season opening round in Bahrain, backed up by teammate Câmara in second.
Post Formula Two Career
Norris would take part in a couple of Formula One free practice sessions for contract holders McLaren during the 2018, as they evaluated potential replacements for F1 legend Fernando Alonso. Those performances, as well as Norris' exploits in F2 during 2018, ultimately saw Norris promoted to F1 for the 2019 season, replacing ex-GP2 Champion Stoffel Vandoorne.
Full Formula Two Record
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Lando Norris's career in Formula Two in statistical form.
Formula Two Entries
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Lando Norris during their F2 career:
|Lando Norris's Overall Formula Two Record|
|2017||Campos Racing||11||Dallara GP2/11||25th||0|
|2018||Carlin||19||Dallara F2 2018|
Below is a table showing Lando Norris's full Formula Two record.
|FIA Formula Two Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- 'LANDO NORRIS BECOMES OFFICIAL McLAREN TEST AND RESERVE DRIVER FOR 2018', mclaren.com, (McLaren Group, 06/11/2017), https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/reserve-test-development-drivers/lando-norris-becomes-official-mclaren-test-reserve-driver-2018/, (Accessed 26/06/2018)
- 'McLaren: British teenager Lando Norris to replace Stoffel Vandoorne', bbc.co.uk/sport, (British Broadcasting Company, 03/09/2018), https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45397134, (Accessed 03/09/2018)
- 'Kubica fourth fastest on return as Vettel sets testing pace', formula1.com, (Formula One World Championship Ltd., 02/08/2017), https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/8/kubica-fourth-fastest-on-return-as-vettel-sets-testing-pace.html, (Accessed 26/06/2018)
- 'LANDO NORRIS TO MAKE F2 DEBUT WITH CAMPOS', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 13/11/2017), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2017/11_November/Lando-Norris-to-make-F2-debut-with-Campos/, (Accessed 26/06/2018)
- 'LECLERC ENDS ON TOP WITH ABU DHABI SPRINT WIN', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 26/11/2017), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2017/11_November/Leclerc-ends-on-top-with-Abu-Dhabi-sprint-win/, (Accessed 26/06/2018)
- 'CARLIN SIGN NORRIS AND SETTE CAMARA FOR FIA FORMULA 2', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula Two, 26/11/2017), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2017/11_November/Carlin-sign-Norris-and-Sette-Camara-for-FIA-Formula-2---/, (Accessed 26/06/2018)
- 'NORRIS BREEZES TO MAIDEN VICTORY IN BAHRAIN FEATURE RACE', fiaformula2.com, (FIA Formula 2, 07/04/2018), http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/News/2018/04_April/Norris-breezes-to-maiden-victory-in-Bahrain-feature-race/, (Accessed 14/06/2018)